Moving SSL Certificate from IIS to Apache
This procedure will help you to move or copy your SSL certificate, installed on an IIS server to an Apache server.
Step 1 : Export IIS certificate into a .PFX file
- Run mmc.exe
- Click the 'Console' menu and then click 'Add/Remove Snap-in'.
- Click the 'Add' button and then choose the 'certificates' snap-in and click on 'Add'.
- Select 'Computer Account' then click 'Next'.
- Select 'Local Computer' and then click 'OK'.
- Click 'Close' and then click 'OK'.
- Expand the menu for 'Certificates' and click on the 'Personal' folder.
- Right click on the certificate that you want to export and select 'All tasks' -> 'Export'.
- A wizard will appear. Make sure you check the box to include the private key and continue through with this wizard until you have a .PFX file.
Step 2 : Extract the private key
Export the private key file from the .PFX file.
Step 3 : Extract the certificate file
Export the certificate file from the .PFX file.
Step 4 : Remove the passphrase
This command removes the passphrase from the private key so Apache won't prompt you for your passphase when it starts.
Make sure that the following lines are present in your apache virtual host configuration file and they are correct :
Don't forget to restart apache at the end.